Friday, April 10, 2009

2ND WEEK IN SMITH SPRINGS AREA 10 MAR 2009

Dear Family:

We set five baptismal dates last week. Coming into this new area has been great. The work is really going forward and everyone wants to help. I love it. But with good missionaries the work can go on anywhere.
The first musical fireside was a learning experience. But things will only get better as time goes on. It went well, but we have a lot to work on. And I don't know if there will be a recording of it anytime soon. I want to send pictures but I don't know when I will be able to.
My companion, Elder Dallin Jolley, is going through a really hard time. He's very homesick and feels like he's wasting everyone's time out here. He's a really good missionary, but just gets frustrated he's not the best... mmmm.. who does that sound like ;) But he's willing to work hard, so as long as we don't have a lot of down time it is good. But I hope I can help him these next few weeks.

I had a really good week and we are having a lot of success. First off I'll talk about the musical firesides. The mission is putting on musical firesides for members to bring investigators to in a member's home. It is full of music, narration, and rockin slides of the savior's life. It is called "Songs of the Savior" and it has been going well. But it's been taking a lot of time out of my work here in Smith Springs. Which makes me sad, but I love sharing my testimony through music, so it's ok for now. The first performance went well. We sang for 35 people 5 of which were investigators who are now being baptized at the end of March. So that has been so much fun to be in. And I love to do it.
Next, his week we didn't have a car (I'm in a part time car area again) But in this area we get to ride the bus, which is so nice and a good place to contact people. So this week I racked up a total of 3 bus sermons with questions answered and 3 copies of the Book of Mormon, given out. No new investigators... yet. But I hope as I get used to how the busses work I will be able to use it to my advantage. The people were very nice, and what made it even more exciting is I was able to bear my testimony in spanish also to those who didn't speak english. I love to share my testimony and share the gospel. It has brought me such joy, so why not share it.
Lastly, We have been teaching this guy named Jeremy. Jeremy is a very sweet guy and is dating a member of the church. He wants to find religion in his life and has really taken a liking to coming to church and meeting with the missionaries. He is about 30 and has two kids, and has served in Iraq. He's a really good guy. And I've gotten really close with Him and Jennifer (hey funny that sounds like burg). But this last lesson we had we watched the testiments to help him see where the Book of Mormon fit in with the bible and at the end of the lesson he prayed. He said his first spoken prayer ever. And it was so great. I love to help others come unto Christ. We are seeing him again on Wednesday and hope to set a baptismal date.
I love the work and am enjoying it here... and the weather (60s and 70s) I love the Lord and Love to serve.
I love the area and the people I'm serving.

Elder Jonathan David Hansen I

No comments: